giovedì 30 aprile 2009

THE SILENCE OF THE NIGHT - a cat lover's poem

This is a poem that I wrote some years ago when I woke up during the night and glanced over to the chair where my cat usually sleeps.  All of a sudden he picked up his ears and was immediately fully awake, too.   I wondered what might have woken him up, as there wasn't a sound to be heard.   I concluded that it must have been the silence itself that woke him.

 I had to get up to let him out, so now wide awake myself, I felt inspired to write a little poem about what I felt might have been going through his mind.


A photo I I took of a feather cloud in the sky above my garden.

(Sadly my cat Smokey is no longer with us but he will be forever in my heart.)


THE SILENCE OF THE NIGHT

The still and steely silence
Drove my sleep away.

No bumps, no bangs,
No clunks, no clangs
To tense my gut as in day.

Fresh fields to roam
Not far from home.

A succulent mouse
Or perhaps in someone's house
Some meat left out on a tray.

Be ever vigilant.
The coast must be clear.
What I do is not for a seer.

My owner would shake
And shout and create.

I'm her lovely soft boy.
When I'm near she knows joy.

"But for Heaven's sake!
What time can it be?

No Pussy, not yet.
Go back to your bed.

It's only four, 
Too early to open the door.
Okay, I can see
There's no peace for me."

So she let me go to roam.
But she wants me back home
By dawn
When she has her first cup of tea.

by Dorothy M Rowatt (2004)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento